Prince Henry the Navigator
- Prince Henry of Portugal realised that if someone were to find the bottom of africa and sail to India their country could control the spice trade and become very wealthy.
- There would be no need for the long dangerous journey along the Great Silk Road.
- In the mid-fifteenth century he set up a school for sailors and encouraged Europes best sailors, mapmakers and instrument makers to come together at the port of Sagres to exchange ideas and learning.
- In 1487, Bartholomew Dias became the first European sailor to reach the bottom of the African continent.
- His ship was battered by violent storms and he named it the Cape of Storms.
- The Portugese king, John II, renamed it the Cape of Good Hope.
Vasco da Gama
- In 1498, another Portuguese sailor, Vasco da Gama, became the the first European sailor to reach India by sailing around the Africa.
- Portugal would now become the richest country in Europe and build a powerful empire.
- Wiki post by Lauren Rush.
Ask a question
Did this raise a question for you?
Get involved in the discussion.