- Semi automatic process.
- A consumable bare wire electrode fed continuously into the weld pool through torch by spool.
- An inert gas, e.g. argon, has a fluxing action and creates a protective shield around the weld pool.
- The feed and flow rate are set by the operator.
- Does not produce slag.
- Used on sheet metals.
- Utilises a non-consumable tungsten electrode
- An electric arc is formed between a non-consumable electrode and the metal being welded.
- An inert gas such as argon creates a protective gas shield.
- A filler metal is added manually.
- No slag is produced.
MIG vs. TIG welding